Once a wolf had been feasting too greedily, and a small bone had stuck crosswise in his throat. He could move it neither up nor down, and of course he could not eat anything. Naturally that was an awful state of affairs for the greedy Wolf.
He asked for help to everyone but no one believed the wolf. At last he hurried to the Crane. He was sure that she, with her long neck and bill, would easily be able to reach the bone and pull it out.
“I will reward you very handsomely,” said the Wolf, “if you pull that bone out for me.”
At first the Crane was very uneasy about putting her head in a Wolf’s throat but finally she agreed to do task for the prize. She took that bone out from his throat with much difficulty.
When the Wolf felt that the bone was gone, he started to walk away. “Sir, my reward!” called the Crane anxiously.
“What!” snarled the Wolf, whirling around. “Haven’t you got it? Isn’t it enough that I let you take your head out of my mouth without snapping it off?”, said the Wolf and drove her away.
Moral: Expect no reward for serving the wicked.
Read More Stories
- The Farmer and the Snake
- The King and the Sea
- The Merchant in the Rain
- The Boys and the Frogs
- The Fox and the Grapes
- The Woodcutter and the Water-god
- The Crow and the Pitcher
- The Hare and the Tortoise
- The Greedy Farmer
- Hercules and the Carter
- The Clever Fox and the Foolish Goat
- The Ant and the Dove
- The Lion and the Mouse
- Two Friends and the Bear
- The Wolf and the Lamb
- The Hidden Treasure
- The Three Greedy Men
- The Clever Fox and the Foolish Crow
- The Wolf and The Crane
- The Golden Touch of Midas
- The Boy Who Cried Wolf
- The Patridge and the Rabbit
- The Tricky Stork and the Clever Crab
- Four Friends and their Second Chance
- The Tortoise and the Bird
- The Boy and the Fence
- The Miser and his Hidden Gold
- The Bundle of Sticks
- The Kindness of a Glass of Milk
- The Magical Tree and the Brothers
- The Egg,the Potato and the Tea Leaves
- The Lonely Elephant
- The Farmer and the Tricky Farmer
- The Milkmaid and Her Pail
- A Wise Counting
- The Ant and the Grasshopper
- The Fox and the Stork
- The Three Little Pigs
- The Rice Bowl Wishes